Sunday, December 7, 2008

Born Again

I have a confession to make. For, roughly, the past month or two, I've been consumed. From personal things, to professional decisions that needed to be made in order for my dreams to materialize, I've allowed my usually muti-pointed focus to narrow to near tunnel vision. In that same time span, I interviewed a very important artist, and kinda rested on it. As I searched my email inbox, a week or so back, I stumbled across said interview, re-read it, and was blown back into reality. The cat I'm featuring here at The Mid BEST is one of those "different" kind of artists. I learned about him through that national hip-hop "bible" that has gone through a lot of changes, when they hosted a nationwide talent competiton called "The Source Of Hip-Hop." His story, with Middle of Da Map, is different because, knowing that this mag is still in it's infancy, after his interview had been conducted, offered (once his interview was published, of course) to help pub the site (and I'm still holding you to it, bro!) around his hometown and through his site! From talking with him, I got to see the inner workings of an artist with a mission and a plan, but, I'm being long-winded... I present to you, Verbal Linguist from KY!!!




"My influences, train of thought, and DEDICATION to the actual craft of writing, is on some throwback shit!" --- Verbal Linguist

Double: First off, it's good to know that you're doing better, fam! With that said, I gotta ask, how did you come up with the concept (theme) for "Rebirth"?


Verb: That's a good question... At first the idea came to me because I had just left a somewhat successful indie label in KY to go solo and felt it was time for a change and rebirth in my personal life and as an artist. And to some degree every track on the album conveys some form of thought process along those lines. I guess that's the "surface level" answer... diggin a little deeper... It ain't hard to tell whats going on out here, fam. We're entering a new era for the world, for better or worse, and I feel we all should be mentally, physically and spiritually prepared. That's the ill thing about, like, the way the cover art came together, for instance, right. The embryo of Earth and all that, but if you notice there's two less obvious, but very strong images going on there too. You got the umbilical cord wrapped around shorty's neck for one, then the outer border of it all has an ancient Egyptian, almost alien feel to it, like your looking through the Predator's screen or some shit from the mothership! That might be a little long of an explanation for your question, but the shit gets deep man. At the same time, I hope I didn't lose anyone based on "theme-ing" my first solo shit (Laughs). I got plenty of other styles, topics and flows for folks, too. It ain't always gonna be some high science metaphysical shit. But its a field that I dig, so, it creeps into the music.


Double: How'd you hook up with the "Source of Hip-Hop" contest a few months back?


Verb: Well, honestly, the internet, man. Straight up. I submitted a track or two, and told them to holler at me when they would be coming through this part of the area. They must have liked what they heard because I got hit up, did what I had to do and made it to the big joint in NY. The funny thing is I didn't even get to do my first showcase in KY, I had to drive my ass up to Dayton (Shout out to Ohio!) and perform up there. Its all love, though.


Double: Most people outside of KY, only associate Kentucky hip-hop with Nappy Roots and G-Mack (both from Louisville). How do you see yourself impacting the Kentucky rap scene?


Verb: Not that it's a big deal or nothing, but let me clear up a couple things...Only a couple of the Nappy Roots bruthas are from tha Ville, and G Mack reps Lexington, KY. Not that it matters really cuz they both hold down the whole state. Anyway, you are right, though. That's just about all folks know about KY, with a few other exceptions. What I hope to bring to the table first and foremost is to represent myself, ya dig?! I got a certain flava about my shit and a whole lot to speak on that may not necessarily represent KY like that. At the same time, KY's my home, so I'm gonna rep it always to some degree. But what I think I offer the scene is an emphasis on lyricism, realism, and no bitchassness (laughing)! Nah, but on the real, a lot of what I have to offer comes from my gifts in things behind the scenes, too. Like, one day my legacy in the state may be more about what I helped establish and set up for other cats to shine rather than my music. Like, I'm a business mind and all around grinder outside the artist aspect, ya know?! It just so happens that I'm nice on the mic, too. Only time will tell what my true impact is... I just do me to the fullest and let the universe shape everything else, man.


Double: Do you have any upcoming projects? If so, when can we expect them?


Verb: Yeah, most definitely... Right now I'm really gearing towards featuring and collabing to spread my presence out a little farther before I drop another official album. So, I'm featuring with a couple of folks outside the US, specifically Germany, Switzerland, UK (maybe this cat from Nigeria that was nice with it), and some cats that I've met further down South of here. I kind of feel the need to touch niggas in the South with something one time. Let 'em know KY is in the building! I got a few ideas for some cold ass "street albums" that you may be able to get on the net or something... I'll have to iron all that out when we get there, no real dates yet though. But, you can stay up-to-date with my moves through www.myspace.com/verballinguist or http://www.verballinguist.com/


Double: Most journalists and critics try to define an artists sound (and most get it wrong!). So, I ask you, how would YOU define it?


Verb: My sound is like... You know, really it's just lyrical, intelligent, grown-ass hip-hop, man. Now, I have my moments where I dip off into some whole other shit, but for the most part, that's what it is. I follow the line of MCs from a different era, fam. Like, not to diss nothing out now or nothing, but my influences, train of thought, and dedication to the actual craft of writing is on some throwback shit for real. Fortunately, my production and subject matter is in this century though, (chuckles)! ..."This is that shit that banged out on the Nile/live from the Mothership/ straight out the X-Files." Haha, it's something like that!


Double: Who are/were your influences in Hip-Hop?


Verb: Hell, I'm already a little long-winded on here (laughs)! I could go on for days... Nah, my biggest musical influence period is Bob Marley! You wouldn't know from anything about me or my music really, but some of dude's shit is comparable to gospel/inspirational music to me. After him, I'd say Wu-Tang, Nas, Tupac, Chuck D, Redman, Scarface, B.I.G, Slick Rick, Rakim, UGK, Mobb Deep, and the early Duckdown stuff. I just like shit from that era, like '88-'95.


Double: This has always been an hot-button question for me; What do you guys consider Kentucky: Southern or Midwestern?


Verb: This is a hot topic around here, especially for rappers that don't know which to rep... Personally I look at KY as a transition state in terms of geography, so it would have to be consider MidWest or some new shit like MidEast. I've even heard cats screamin' Mid South, which I ain't ridin with (chuckles)! The tradition is that Louisville is the gateway to the South, but KY never was all the way down with the Confederate movement in the Civil War, neither. So I guess it just depends on who you're talking to and how they feel. Plus, certain areas in the state have a more MidWest feel to them than others. So who knows... Personally, I don't give a shit, but it's always an interesting convo, fa sho.


Double: What do you think it will take for the Midwest to "explode", as seen in Houston, Atlanta, and now, Miami?


Verb: I think it's always been revelant. Some of the best MCs of the past and the present came from the Midwest. The only thing I see missing is having an artist with a strong business mind behind them. Like most of the great Midwest artist was just flexin' they craft really. To me, Midwest MCs have always been nice, lyrically, compared to other regions and more specifically, the Midwest has had some of the best Spitters, flow-wise, ever. That's a midwestern niche... Flow. But we need, like, a Midwest(ern) Master P muthafucka to come through and let his nuts hang one time (no homo). Cuz, I really think its more of a power thing than anything else. With the exception of a couple of labels, the East, West, and South got all the venues and outlets. Midwest MCs gotta go somewhere else to get a name, ya dig?!


Double: As a part of Hip-Hop culture, there are aspects that, everyone must admit, promote and condone negative ideals. How can WE (as a part of Hip-Hop) change the public's perception (of the culture) and it's music?

Verb: Unfortunately, I don't know if there is much we can do. The fact is, even muthfuckas that love rap, love it for the negative aspects of the music... The anger, the materialism, the misogyny, the violence. These are all very lucrative and well loved aspects of rap music. I mean, obviously I don't lean in that direction, and there are several other really good cats out there, underground and mainstream, that have something to say beside the staus quo. So, hopefully, the more success we have, the more the game will start to flip over to a new page. And that would trickle into the way hip-hop is seen as an artform.


Double: Where can we see you perform soon?

Verb: I'm making my rounds in Lexington and the surrounding area right now. My next show is about three weeks off in Lex, and I'm taking dates for some of these homecomings going on right now. Nothing in stone yet. Once again, folks can keep up with me on MySpace or http://www.verballinguist.com./


Double: I've heard that here, in Indianapolis, that unity is somewhat waning. What type of unity (between artists) is there in Kentucky?


Verb: It's probably about the same here, man. Like, some folks been clicking up lately and I'm peeping their moves or whatever... I'm not noticing any kind of real benefits from the "all in together" movement, though. I honestly just don't think that blueprint of unifying as a movement works for everyone in every market.


Double: Do you think that skills like freestyling or battle rapping help make someone a better artist?

Verb: Freestyling, yes. Battle rapping, hell no. I think you tap in to different parts of the brain or something. Like, freestyling helps you gain cadence, flow, style, etc... Battle rapping just sharpens your skills as a comedian. Maybe, just maybe, you can learn how to rock a crowd better through battling.


Double: Once upon a time, I lived in Kentucky (shout to all of Earlington, Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Bowling Green, etc!), and I came into my own assumptions (about the area/state). What is the biggest misconception about Kentucky Hip-Hop (that YOU'VE encountered)?

Verb: That we worship Nappy Roots and everyone knows them, wants to sound like them or is otherwise on their dick. Nothing against those guys at all, but I've been asked about them everywhere I go outside the state!


I told, ya'll! I gotta send a bunch of love out to Kentucky, man, I love visiting that state. My folks in Bowling Green, (Big Wes, Li'l Wes, Fontasia hope ya'll doin' good down there!). Nappy Roots (Big V, Skinny Deville), and go get their new album "The Humdinger" in-stores now! My guy Divine Da Instagata, (can't forget about him) out in da 'Ville. But, I'm feeling myself, right now, doin' all this name dropping, so I'm gonna leave you guys with this...


Middle Of Da Map Magazine coming '09... Peace.

No comments: